Friday, October 5, 2012

The Angry Side of Tenants/Owners

So at this time, Renters Warehouse has over 300 properties under management. Among those approximately 270 are leased up and have tenants currently residing in the properties. Oftentimes it seems that pleasantries are completely overlooked, so when the time comes for any form of communication with either tenants or owners, it is only when there is a problem. Of course as we all know, when problems arise in service industries those submitting a complaint are not pleased with a set of circumstances. The positive phone calls and emails are few and far between, so when my team gets those, it makes the day go by a little better. I've heard shouting matches from opposing viewpoints and maybe one is more right than the other, but in the end contracts and business rule out the personal relations. I strive to be as positive as I can and deliver the customer service I know how to exhibit, even when the atmosphere can oftentimes seem strained. We have a really good management crew and I have to say through it all, we end the weekdays on a positive note.

5 comments:

  1. When I was an undergraduate, I worked as a Community Assistant in the residence halls and I understand the frustrations on the management side (and the tenant side) of housing. It is always hard to keep good customer service when someone is yelling and screaming, but good customer service has normally solved many of the communication issues I had with residents (and parents). Even if you cannot solve the problem as quickly as they would like, most people simply want someone to acknowledge their opinion of problems as being valid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rett – well said. I empathize with what your team endures on a daily basis, and probably so does everyone who's read your blog. Trying to resolve an irate customer's issues is a huge test of patience and professionalism. You wouldn't think there would be so many opportunities to run into irate customers given the pervasiveness of customer service jobs! Virtually everyone has worked in that position at some point in their lives. I always go out of my way to be the least difficult customer that a ground level rep may run across that day because I understand the aggravation and resentment that can build over the course too many consecutive interactions with bonafide pricks. You have a nice flow to your writing style. I want to hear more of your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rett! During my internship with the city of Phoenix Neighborhood Services Department I encountered several landlord/tenant customer interactions. I agree completely, it is unfortunate that courtesy and manners are thrown out the window when faced with a stressful situation. Due to directory error I would occasionally receive landlord/tenant calls, only to be greeted by a flustered and irrational person. Despite my efforts to cut in and direct them to the proper line, they would insist on ranting and raving. Of course, upon redirecting them, I would then hear a landlord/tenant line ring, which would undoubtedly be followed by what would seem to be an aggressive conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is to be expected when in the Customer Service industry. Personally, I've been in the Customer Service sector since I was first able to start working. When dealing with upset customers, I always have to keep my calm and remember they are paying for your service. However, there were times when I wanted to yell and tell them they were wrong but I couldn't. It takes a strong willed person to work in areas such as yours. I know I would have issues with tenants yelling at me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part of being in a public facing career is all the confrontation and tantrums what come along. I feel that having the passion to serve your clients or public and a positive attitude go a long way in preparing people for a long and successful careers in public interactive professions.

    ReplyDelete