Monday, November 26, 2012

City of Phoenix Rental License FAQ's


If you own a home in the city of Phoenix, and have decided to rent it out, you are required to have a rental license for the property. The city of Phoenix Neighborhood Services department requires that residential rental properties occupied or listed for rent be registered at the Maricopa County Assessors Office, even if the tenant is a family member. Among the regulations, rental units must be registered within 10 days of any changes in status or contact information.
How do I change the mailing address for the owner of the license? Or how can I update my other contact information?
A request to change the address must be submitted in writing and mailed to the Maricopa County Assessor at 301 W Jefferson St Phoenix, AZ 85003. The phone number is (602) 506-3406 if you have further questions.
My rental property is vacant or has changed to owner occupied - what should I do?
The owner must notify the department in writing at the County Administrative Building, 301 W Jefferson St Phoenix, AZ 85003 that they wish to close a rental license.
I’m no longer the property manager, what do I do?
The property manager must notify the Maricopa County Assessor at the County Administrative Building, 301 W Jefferson St Phoenix, AZ 85003 that they are no longer involved with the property.
To change a property manager, a new updated application signed by the owner, signed and notarized by the new manager, must be submitted the the department.
Why did I receive this bill? Or, why didn’t I receive my bill?
The Annual Renewal Bill is mailed in November each year. The license expires at the end of every December as part of the fiscal year. The county on the whole does not pro-rate.
The bill is sent to the contact/manager address provided by the owner on their application. If the address or contact information has changed, the owner must notify the Maricopa County Assessor at the County Administrative Building, 301 W Jefferson St Phoenix, AZ 85003. Their contact number is (602) 506-3406.
Do I need a rental license if I have a roommate?
If the property is occupied by an owner with either a roommate or family member, a rental license is not required. However, the number of roommates you have is limited by Housing and Zoning codes.

1 comment:

  1. I did not realize that The city of Phoenix Neighborhood Services department requires that residential rental properties occupied or listed for rent be registered at the Maricopa County Assessors Office. I’m assuming that a lot of people rent their homes and do not do this. As a result a lot of fraud probably occurs. For instance, often times a tenant pays a landlord rent but the landlord does not use that money to pay the bank the mortgage, the bank forecloses the house, and the tenant is left high and dry. It would probably be easier to track such fraud if everyone were registered with the Maricopa County Assessor.

    ReplyDelete